The Dana 44A 226 or Dana Super 44 is found on the rear of some WK, WJ and XK Jeeps. This cover usually fits:
- Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 2006 to 2010
- Jeep Commander 2006 (and probably 2007 to 2010) with the Dana 44A/226 differential (usually the 2WD models, Commander Limited and Overland models have an option of the 44A/226 differential)
- Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ 4.7 with aluminum housing, 1999 to 2004, can use this cover when a spacer is added to the sway bar or if the Jeep is lifted — without additional space this cover hits the sway bar on 1999 to 2004 models
- Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ, 1996 to 1998, may have the Dana 44A/226 rear axle and be able to use this cover, especially ZJs with the 5.9 or 5.2 V8. ZJs also used regular Dana 44 and the Dana 35 differentials
Check your differential for size, shape, number of bolts and clearance before ordering. Jeep used variety of Dana differentials. Click to view a dimensions in a separate window and keep in mind that there is a restocking fee of 20% for returns.
This rear end cover may fit other SRT8 vehicles or other Jeeps.
Volume: 0.7 quarts over stock
Number of bolts: 10 bolts
Dimensions: Click to view a jpg file in a separate window.
PML designed this differential cover for the Dana 44A. The Dana 44A is also called Dana 226, Dana 44 SRT8, and Dana Super 44. This differential is found on the rear of some WK, WJ and XK Jeeps, such as SRT8 models of Grand Cherokee.
The shape and bolt hole pattern of the cover for a Dana 44A is not the same as the regular Dana 44. Be sure to verify that the differential is a 44A before ordering.
- Designed to clear sway bar on Grand Cherokee SRT8 Jeeps
- Extra capacity
- Fins to aid in heat dissipation
- Heavy duty sand cast aluminum construction
- Drain hole and magnetic drain plug
- Level check/oil fill hole
- Thick, machined gasket flange for a secure seal
- Optionally can be machined for a temperature sensor
Installation Note: Once installed the fins clear the sway bar on 2006 to 2010 Grand Cherokee SRT8 Jeeps. However, it is necessary to temporarily drop the sway bar to remove the stock cover and install the PML cover.
Bolt Hole Pattern
This image shows the bolt pattern from the stock rear cover of a 1996 Grand Cherokee compared to this PML differential cover. Note that the bolt patterns match.
This image also includes the distances between the bolt holes so you can use this to check if the bolt pattern on your stock cover matches.
Many thanks to our customer Chris who created this drawing.
Front Differential Cover for 4WD Vehicles
Some Jeeps have a Dana 30 on the front and can use PML part number 5058.
For Jeeps where the stock front differential cover connects to the suspension, such as the Grand Cherokee SRT8, PML does not make a front cover.
Optional Machining for Temperature Sending Unit
This cover has an undrilled boss for an aftermarket temperature sensor sending unit on the side at the 4 o clock position. There is a machining charge for PML to drill and tap the hole.
Drain and Fill/Level Check
This cover has a fill/level check hole on the side at the same level as the stock cover.
A drain hole on the bottom makes for easier maintenance.
A plug for the fill/level check hole and a magnetic drain plug are included.